A thin and lightweight laptop often comes with a trade-off and that is thermal limitations. And it’s no different from the Dell XPS. That’s why Dell XPS 15 laptop is not for gaming only. It simply cannot play games to the full extent of what this hardware should be capable of due to its thermal limitations. But Dell XPS 15 performance is good and thermal temperatures aren’t too bad. If you want a thin and light computer and do some creative work. And some occasional gaming this would be a great option.
It does play games, but you will get a lot of dropped frames if it all gets too hot. And the games that are not very demanding like Fortnight, WoW, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Minecraft will run just fine. There are ways to improve this like under volting the CPU. But that’s something that the average user probably won’t do. But on the other hand, the same goes for upgrading memory on a laptop. So if you’re into that kind of tweaking, you can boost the performance significantly by under volting the CPU. That’s it. Although it has some thermal limitations. It still performs very well with photos and video editing apps like Adobe Premiere Pro, Lightroom, and Photoshop.
However, if you want to use Dell XPS 15 for gaming make sure you’re as prepared as you can be. You would have to upgrade the RAM and SSD storage, and you’ll always be able to make them yourself. The latest model of Dell XPS 15 with 9th Gen Intel Core i7 and Core i9 processor is perfect for gaming. Editing 4K footage in Premier runs surprisingly smoothly. And even if you put the playback at full resolution, it will not drop any frames. Also, if you run CPU and GPU intensive tasks, it still stays very quick and responsive. Dell XPS 15 has a lovely display.
It has very small bezels. And the screen hits up to 500 nits of brightness. And it’s high brightness means that you can use this almost anywhere. There are a couple of versions available like the OLED 4K touchscreen. This full HD panel is really sharp and you probably won’t notice the difference next to a 4K screen. Dell XPS 15 screen also covers a hundred percent of the SRGB color space. But if you need a hundred percent coverage of the Adobe RGB Color Space. You might want to check the 4K IPS panel. Which has even better color accuracy. But still, the Full HD panel is a lot more affordable. And the lower resolution will also save you some battery.
The Dell XPS is still a good looking, thin but powerful laptop. It also has some good connectivity options like USB 3, HDMI, a headphone jack. Thunderbolt 3, and an SD card reader built-in as well. So, Dell has clearly chosen this strategy to don’t fix anything that isn’t broken. But the question is did they fix the things that were broken? Well, they at least fixed one thing and that’s the position of the webcam.
In the latest version, they’ve moved the webcam to the top of the screen, which is a lot better. And it now also has a fingerprint reader to unlock in the power button, and this works pretty well. And Dell has also upgraded the Wi-Fi card. Now, Dell XPS 15 features a Killer 1650x. It is a big improvement to the previous version and it also supports Wi-Fi 6. If you compare this with a MacBook Pro or a Microsoft Surface Book with similar specs, it’s relatively affordable.
The XPS 15 has a really nice keyboard. The key layout is great, it’s backlit and there’s enough key travel and feedback. The carbon fiber interior feels really good. It’s a little sensitive to fingerprints, but it can easily be cleaned. And the trackpad is also good. It’s very responsive. The Dell XPS 15 is a well-built, good-looking laptop that performs excellent with content creating apps. But struggles with gaming because of its thermal limitations. It is relatively affordable and it’s easy to upgrade hardware components. The screen is beautiful. The keyboard is great and no complaints about connectivity options. But for now, we can highly recommend the XPS 15 for content creators.
- 2021 ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401QM-211.ZG14 (AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS, 40GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3060 6GB, 14″ FHD 144Hz, Windows 10) Gaming Notebook – Moonlight White
- 2021 Gateway Creator Series 15.6″ FHD 120Hz Laptop Computer, Intel Core i5-10300H, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Backlit KB, THX Audio, HD Webcam, GeForce RTX 2060, Win 10, Black, 32GB SnowBell USB Card
- ASUS E410 Intel Celeron N4020 4GB 128GB eMMC 14-inch HD LED Win 10 Laptop (Blue)
- HP Stream 14-Inch Laptop, Intel Celeron N4000, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC, Windows 10 Home in S Mode With Office 365 Personal For 1 Year (14-cb184nr, Rose Pink)
- Lenovo Legion 15.6” FHD LED Backlight Gaming Laptop | Intel 6-Core i7-10750H | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti | 32GB RAM | 1TBSSD+1TBHDD | Backlit Keyboard | Windows 10 | with Woov Accessory Bundle
- Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop 2020: Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 15.6″ FHD 1080p 120Hz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, CNC Aluminum, Chroma RGB Lighting, Black
- 2020 Asus TUF 15.6″ FHD Premium Gaming Laptop, 10th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-10300H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Boot + 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650Ti 4GB GDDR6, RGB Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 Home
- 2021 Newest Dell Inspiron 3000 Laptop, 15.6 HD LED-Backlit Display, Intel Celeron Processor N4020, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB Hard Disk Drive, Online Meeting Ready, Webcam, WiFi, HDMI, Win10 Home, Black
- 2021 Flagship HP Pavilion 15 Laptop Computer 15.6″ FHD IPS Touchscreen Display AMD Octa-Core Ryzen 7 4700U (Beats i7-10510U) 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD B&O Webcam Backlit WiFi Win 10 + iCarp HDMI Cable
- 2021 Dell Inspiron 17 I3793 17.3” FHD Laptop Notebook Computer 10th Gen 4-Core Intel Core i5-1035G1 32GB RAM 1TB NVMe SSD DVD Webcam Bluetooth Wi-Fi RJ-45 HDMI Windows 10 Pro w/ RE Flash Drive
- Acer Spin 5 13 2020 Premium 2 in 1 Laptop I 13.3″ FHD Touchscreen IPS I 8th Gen Intel Quad-Core i7-8565U I 16GB DDR4 1TB PCIe SSD I Type-C Webcam Stylus Pen Win 10 Pro + Delca 16GB Micro SD Card
- Dell – Inspiron 14 7000 – 14″ FHD Laptop – Intel Core i7 – 8GB Memory – 512 GB SSD – Silver